Am I a Recovering Alcoholic or Did I Just Quit Drinking?

I had a recent e-mail discussion with an ex-girlfriend-turned-friend-and-confidant over my recovery from alcohol addiction. She is a recovering alcoholic, too. We had a close but volatile relationship in the late '70s. Our e-mail conversations became very intense. Some of the things she wrote were quite interesting and deserved further analysis.

She brought up my recovery from alcoholism. I have over eight years of sobriety. I indicated that my sobriety did not include AA attendance, but rather a spiritual awakening of my own. She did not buy this type of recovering from a deadly disease on my own without an AA sponsored program guiding my way. I told her that she was wrong, but after thinking about it, I thought she may be right about my sobriety in question. She had a really good point I must admit. At first, I didn't know how to respond.

After all, I do take pain medications for my back pain since 1995. The doses I take have increased through the years. And I do believe I am addicted to this pain medication, so how can I claim I am in recovery since addiction of another type is present in my current life. Also, I admit on occasion I do drink a non-alcoholic beer from time to time. The difference in the pain medication addiction is that I do not take it for the thrill. I honestly take it for pain relief. I have injured my back because of industrial accidents, car accidents, and home-related accidents. I also suffer from degenerative discs of my spine. And I don't drink non-alcoholic beer on a regular basis, rather than rare occasions, and when the real stuff is present in company. It makes me feel accepted by the drinking crowd. I usually bring my own. I must admit that these non-alcoholic beers contain 0.05% alcohol. With that said, I do question my recovery from alcoholism or addiction since my ex-girlfriend brought it up for discussion. She may be right. Maybe my recovery isn't genuine. Maybe I should claim I just quit drinking. It is debatable. How can I be recovering if I do not do the program 100%? To me, what I have been achieving these past eight years has been nothing less than a miracle. My mission has been staying sober whatever it takes. And so far It has worked well for me. The truth is, I guess I just quit drinking.

Earl D. Erickson is a self-published and internet author. His main writing projects include alcoholism and drug addiction, depression, suicide, and grief. He has recently written and self-published a memoir entitled, The Journey of an Incorrigible Alcoholic: The Paths I Chose and the Ones I Didn't. His memoir tells of one man's story of his struggles with alcoholism, drug addiction, depression, suicide, grief, recovery, and hope. His book is available online at Amazon or your favorite online retail bookstore. Also, it can be purchased at his website: http://www.SerenityLighthouse.com. His other articles can be viewed at EzineArticles.com. He encourages and welcomes receiving comments and e-mails from his readers.

Earl's hobbies include writing, reading, music, photography, gardening, fishing, camping, and the great outdoors. He is a native and lifelong resident of Tacoma, Washington.


Original article

No comments: